Tuesday, March 2, 2010

mixing patterns...

is not for everyone...as i realized one day while shopping with my mom...we had decided to venture out to nordstroms...and i successfully found two lovely pieces...a tweed skirt...that i originally thought to wear with a black turtleneck, tights & my black boots...and a gorgeous blouse...that won me over with its print...

while standing in line...i look down at my two purchases...admiring them lovingly...and thought...these two pieces would look great together...so i shared this thought with my mom...who although thinks i dress rather outrageous at times...is used to me...she smiled...nodded...and i knew...that it was a bit extreme for her tastes...

not letting my exuberance die...we got up to the cashier...a women perhaps in her late 30's...and i thought...surely...she will get it...so i said the same thing to her "wouldn't these two pieces look great together?" her look said it all...she wasn't buying it...

mixing patterns is not for everyone...many don't understand it...but i actually love the look...it is all about personal style...of course...and this is a big piece of mine...

so here are my two purchases...

notice? different patterns...same color family...


orginal thought as to how to wear my new skirt...
my mom would prefer this =)



diane von furstenberg blouse, classiques entier tweed skirt
more my style




close-up of color & pattern


my exuberance continued when i got home...and i thought...there must be more that i can pair with this skirt...and of course...there always is!


karen kane blouse w/tweed skirt



close-up of color & pattern


or...perhaps this...


tesori leopard print jacket



close-up of color & pattern


mixing patterns works with any color...when working with mixing patterns...let one piece have a more dominant pattern than the other...

is this something you would try? or is it too extreme?

6 comments:

  1. Good eye! I especially love the original combination. I have a soft spot for mixing vintage prints, it looks so kitsch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you put the two together, it was like magic. They work wonders together and you'll have a truly unique look. It's a great example of shopping your closet. Enjoy your new pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies...nice to know i'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved it! specially the first outfit with the DVF blouse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, love it, love it! I barely even count the tweed as a pattern, so it totally works, and it's so much more interesting than the plain turtleneck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. vanina - isn't that funny...that i'm standing in line...thinking i am buying two separate pieces for two separate outfits? they really come together nicely...even though no one that day thought so...except me...
    dana - i'm with you...a tweed isn't really a pattern to me...but i love how the different pieces make the colors in the tweed show up better...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin